Bray.ie launches its summer tourism campaign for 2019
On Thursday, June 13th bray.ie launched its summer tourism initiative for 2019. The new campaign aims to promote the many tourism products and the fantastic family fun-filled events on offer in the much-loved seaside resort this summer.
You can watch Movies by the bandstand on selected dates in July and August, enjoy all the thrills and spills of the Seafront Funfair from July 19th until August 5th, sample sizzling wings at Wings Food Fest on July 19th to 21st, be amazed by the flying skills at Ireland’s biggest Air Display on July 27th & 28th, explore the spectacular views from Bray Head be wowed with stunning fireworks as they light up the night skies on the August Bank Holiday Monday.
Eugene Finnegan from Bray Tourism said, “Summer is here and it’s an ideal time to plan a visit to Bray. This year the town will host a number of great family-friendly events from the Seafront Funfair to a stunning fireworks display. Really there’s no better place than Bray to enjoy some fun in the sun.”
The great #SummerInBray events include:
- Hell & Back returns to Killruddery this weekend Saturday, June 15th & 16th
- Sunday Summer Sounds which kicks off on Sunday, June 16th at 2.30pm – scroll down the page for the full schedule
- LEGO Sea Explorers at SeaLife Bray from June 15th to July 14th
- Bray Seafront Art & Photography Exhibition takes place on Sunday, 23rd June, Sunday, July 14th & Sunday, 25th August
- In July Cool Planet Experience has two workshops to choose from they include Slime Labs & Stomp Rocket Workshops
- Amphibian King Wicklow Triathlon Club Aquathon Series – June 26th, July 24th & August 7th
- Movies by the bandstand on selected dates in July and August – See below for movies & screening times
- Seafront Fun Fair returns to Bray Seafront NOW from Saturday, July 20th to August 5th
- The mouth-watering Wings Food Fest returns July, 19th, 20th & 21st
- Pirates and Mermaids at SeaLife Bray from July 20th to Sept 8th
- Eyes to the skies as Ireland’s biggest air show the Bray Air Display returns on July 27th & 28th
- A stunning fireworks display takes place on Bank Holiday Monday, 5th August at 10 pm. Proudly brought to you by The Martello.
- Heritage Week – a celebration of Ireland’s culture, history, gardens, and architecture finishes off our summer events from August 17th to 25th
Our #SummerInBray events calendar
Are you organising an event in Bray this summer?
Have you got an event happening in the Bray District this summer? Do you want to feature it on Bray.ie’s online events calendar for free? Just complete the form here and your event could appear on our website and social media networks soon. Terms and conditions apply.
HELL & BACK Ireland’s Toughest Mental & Physical Endurance Challenge is the country’s largest and most popular obstacle course run returns to Killruddery Estate on June 15th & 16th. You can register for the event at hellandback.ie.
The newly refurbished Victorian bandstand on Bray Seafront will again this year play host to a series of free concerts which will feature big band performances from the Dublin Airport Police & Fire Service Band, Bray Concert Band, Lourdes Brass Band and plenty more. Summer Sounds will run over selected Sunday’s throughout the summer and kicks off this Sunday, June 16th at 2.30pm.
Summer Sounds schedule
- Dublin Airport Police & Fire Service Band – June 16th
- The Garda Band & Garda Day – June 23rd
- Bray Concert Band – June 30th
- Communications Workers Brass Band – July 7th
- Ardee Brass Band – July 14th
- St. Georges Brass Band – August 4th
- Stedfast Band – August 5th
- Dublin Airport Police & Fire Service Band – August 11th
- St. James Brass & Reed Band – August 18th
- Blanchardstown Brass Band – August 25th
- Bray Concert Band – September 1st
- Lourdes Brass Band – September 8th
Step beneath the waves at SeaLife Bray and get closer than ever before to the creatures and features of the world’s oceans. From the colourful to the curious, the majestic to the mystical, get ready to be amazed as you discover the stories of the oceans’ most fascinating inhabitants.
They have a huge line up of great events for the whole family this summer:
LEGO Sea Explorers at SeaLife Bray from June 15th to July 14th
Join the LEGO Sea Explorers on a mission to record discoveries about our amazing sea creatures. Stop at the interactive LEGO pods located along your underwater journey and participate in their individual missions. Draw, colour and create the amazing creatures you see and display them for all to enjoy.
Pirates and Mermaids at SeaLife Bray from July 20th to Sept 8th
Follow an immersive in-tank trail, choose to be a brave buccaneer or a mesmerising mer-creature and race the opposing team to find the six pieces of hidden treasure. Once the treasure has been found and the quest is complete, meet a legendary pirate or mermaid yourself! At the end of the trail, it’s all-hands-on-deck at the activity zone featuring a swashbuckling array of activities to keep even the saltiest Seadogs occupied!
Book online and save www.visitsealife.ie
Amphibian King Wicklow Triathlon Club Aquathon Series takes place on June 26th, July 24th & August 7th. Enjoy a 750m wetsuit swim followed by a 5km run along Bray promenade. All levels catered for! There’ll be prizes for the winners and tasty post-race soup & sambos for all. Enter online via http://www.triathlonireland.com/ or register on the night. €20 for individual entries or €25 for a relay team per race. Discounted rate if you enter online for all 3 races at once – €50. Please note: You will need to have a Triathlon Ireland race licence or a one-day license in order to compete.
For more details, visit our race page here: http://wicklowtri.com/aquathonseries/.
Bray Seafront Art & Photography Exhibition will run on Sunday, 23rd June, Sunday, July 14th & Sunday, 25th August from 12 pm to 4 pm, showcasing and selling the works of local artists and photographers at the iconic Bray Bandstand. Enjoy this family-friendly day of art and photography as well as some fantastic music on the Bandstand.
- Slime Labs take a closer look at environmental science with slime, goo, jelly balls and seaweed; Saturday 6th and 13th July @ 11 am and 2 pm, €15 per child.
- At the Stomp Rocket Workshops, kids will discover the link between climate and energy – how clever storage and conversion can deliver clean and free power; Tuesday 2nd and 9th July @11am, €12.50.
Cool Planet Experience is open daily, 10am-5pm. For more information and to book, visit Coolplanetexperience.org
You can watch free ‘Movies by the bandstand‘ on selected dates in July and August.
2019 screening dates and times are as follows:
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – Thursday, July 4th 2019 at 8 pm – Running time: 1h 43m (Classification: 12A)
- A Star is Born – Thursday, July 11th 2019 at 8 pm – Running time: 2h 14m (Classification: 15)
- Back to the Future – now rescheduled for Thursday, August 22nd 2019 at 8 pm – Running time: 1h 56m (Classification: PG)
- The Greatest Showman – Thursday, August 15th 2019 at 8 pm – Running time: 1h 46m (Classification: PG)
Roll up, roll up for all the fun of the fair… as the Seafront Funfair comes to town NOW from July 20th until August 5th. Thrill-seekers can enjoy bumper cars, games, stalls and even some candy floss daily from 12 noon until 10 pm. There are special discounted tickets available.
Ireland’s obsession with the chicken wing continues at Wings Food Fest which returns with a superb line-up of wingtastic activities for you to enjoy on July 19th, 20th & 21st.
Watch as some brave souls take part in our famous wing eating competitions. If you’re not up to stuffing your face of hot wings why not try bagging yourself some free wings over at our Wing A Roo – ‘Spin A Wing’ wheel or try out our Bingo Wing Tent!
Again, this year the festival is on the search for Ireland’s favourite chicken wings venue in their annual Wing-Off. The nation’s experts… the public will recommend venues who will be competing for a place in the live finals on Sunday, July 21st. You can vote now via www.wingsfoodfest.com. Polls close on Sunday, July 14th at 23:59. For more information please see www.wingsfoodfest.com.
Catch some of the best display teams and vintage aircraft in the world as they showcase their incredible aerobatic skills on Saturday, July 27th & Sunday, July 28th, 2019 at Ireland’s biggest air display. This is a fantastic free weekend for the whole family to enjoy! There are 2-days of action and entertainment in the air and on the ground.
The Bray Air Display is so much more than an air show! Why not enjoy the thrills and spills of the Seafront Funfair, dine alfresco at our Food Village, treat yourself and the family to a meal at one of the many restaurants throughout the town or simply bring your own picnic. You can even experience a breath-taking helicopter ride over Bray Head which all kick off from noon each day.
While the Bray Air Display is a free family weekend, our new Flight Deck package is for those looking for an extra special airshow experience this year! Book now here.
See www.brayairdisplay.com for more information.
Bray.ie’s Fireworks Display – August Bank Holiday Monday, 5th at 10 pm
The spectacular fireworks photo has been kindly supplied by Brian Dempsey Photography www.creativephotography.eu.
There’s plenty to keep you busy between events too as Bray is packed full of incredible experiences that you can’t get anywhere else including Bray Adventures, SeaLife, Killruddery House & Gardens, Squirrel’s Scramble, Bray Bowl, Star Amusements, Delta Force Paintballing, Fatbike Adventures, Shoreline Leisure, Mermaid County Wicklow Arts Centre, the Brave Maeve Story Trail, Bray Celtic Camino Coastal Route and Cool Planet Experience.
Or why not take a dip in the waters of Bray’s Blue Flag beach, stroll along the magnificent Victorian prom, check out the spectacular views from Bray Head or the Cliff Walk & visit our vibrant town centre where there is an excellent choice of places to shop, stay, dine and socialise in.
Share images or videos of your own trip or holiday moments in Bray
Bray.ie wants you to share images or videos of your own trip or holiday moments in Bray using the hashtag #SummerInBray, some of which will be shared across bray.ie’s Twitter, Instagram and Facebook networks.
Bray is a coastal town in County Wicklow and is situated about 20 km south of Dublin city centre on the east coast. It is the ninth-largest urban area within the Republic of Ireland.
Bray is a resort town making it a destination for tourists and day-trippers, with a great social scene, bustling town centre and thriving industry.
In 2013 Bray saw a four-fold increase in bookings via ebookers making it the second most popular staycation destination in the country.
In February bray.ie was shortlisted for ‘Best Connected Council‘ at the All-Ireland Community & Council Awards. Bray.ie won the award in 2017. Read more: https://www.bray.ie/bray-ie-wins-best-connected-community-award/.
The Bray Air Display and the ‘Summer in Bray’ tourism initiative have won Silver at The All Ireland Community and Council Awards. Read more:https://www.bray.ie/successful-night-for-bray-at-the-all-ireland-community-and-council-awards-2019/.
Campaign tag-lines – ‘Summer’s here’ & ‘Splash in to summer’
Campaign hashtag – #SummerInBray
‘Movies by the bandstand’ Terms & conditions
- The ‘Movies by the bandstand’ screenings are a free event
- All films will start at 8 pm
- Please dress appropriately for the weather
- You can bring a blanket, deck chair or camp chair
- No pets are allowed
- There’s no alcohol allowed
- Our ‘Movies by the bandstand’ screenings are age appropriate. The onus is on the parent to decide if the movie is suitable for their child to watch
- If attending the ‘Movies by the bandstand’ screenings children must be accompanied by an adult
- The screenings will take place on Bray Seafront at the bandstand, please be good to the environment, respect your town, and take everything home with you
- There is parking throughout the seafront
- The event team reserves the right to refuse admission
- ‘Movies by the bandstand’ screenings are dependant on the weather, if bad weather is forecast, screenings may/will be cancelled
- Technical issues, glitches or failures are unforeseen. Our event team will try and find a solution. Please be patient and have some respect for our on the ground teams. If a solution can’t be found it may result in the screening been cancelled without notice. Unfortunately, sometimes these things happen at outdoor events. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause
The Bray summer tourism campaign is brought to you by Bray Chamber, Wicklow County Council and Bray.ie. Bray.ie is a trading name of Bray Tourism.
The initiative will be supported by a poster, radio and social media campaign.
Additional Funfair Information
The funfair will be closed on Monday, July 29th & Tuesday, July 30th, 2019.