Over the past number of years, the use of Silly String has caused a number of complaints at the Bray St.Patrick’s Parade. As the organiser, our main responsibility is for the safety of all participants and attendees.
Participants have raised a number concerns which can be categorised into the following:
- The use of Silly String was deemed aggressive and intimidating resulting in a number children receiving eye and skin injuries.
- It damaged vehicles, clothing and uniforms.
- The spray residue became extremely slippy underfoot/wheel in wet conditions and took a number of weeks to remove from footpaths and roadways at considerable cost.
In order to address these concerns and secure the continued participation of these groups, we have undertaken the following practical steps to ensure we create an enjoyable experience for all at the event;
- Contacted local retailers who stock the product and have respectfully requested for it not to be sold from 15th to 19th of March 2018.
- Engaged with both An Garda Síochána and Wicklow County Council.
- Additional stewards throughout the parade route.
- Installation of 400 meters of additional crowd control barriers.
- Publicity campaign highlighting the participant’s concerns.
We are asking the community to respect this decision in order to protect our parade participants.
Thank you for your support in advance!
Bray & District Chamber of Commerce and St. Patricks Festival Bray Organising Committee
Latest Festival News
Click here for more information about the festival.
Bray’s St. Patrick’s Festival is proudly brought to you by Bray & District Chamber of Commerce and Wicklow County Council.