21st November 2020 to 26th December 2020
Bray Chamber, Bray.ie and the Bray Municipal District Council have announced the transformation of the traditional Christmas Light Switch-On into a free live-streamed event for 2020, as part of the Christmas In Bray festivities.
Bray’s Virtual Christmas Lights Switch-On 2020 will take place online via https://www.bray.ie/christmasinbray/ on Saturday, November 21st 2020 from 5:00 pm. This event will be hosted by local Bray comedian Adam Burke, will be streamed live from Bray Town Hall and feature live music performances, a very special guest dialling in directly from the North Pole and lots more fun and surprises. To make sure everyone can get involved, viewers will be able to send in their special Christmas messages / videos to family and friends which will be shared during the show.
This year, we’re giving one lucky family the chance to push the button to switch on Bray’s Christmas Lights directly from their own home. Simply log onto https://www.bray.ie/christmasinbray/ to enter. Closing date for entries is Wednesday, November 18th, 2020.
Ruth Donnelly, Bray & District Chamber of Commerce President said “We are conscious that this year has had a financial impact on many of us and we hope that town centre businesses can benefit from us bringing forward the official switch on. We’re encouraging the community to continue to shop local first, to spread their spending over a longer period by taking advantage of the local online stores, utilising the many click n’ collect and delivery options available, but more importantly they can avoid crowds and stay safe by allowing shops to maintain social distancing.”
The Christmas In Bray campaign aims to drive footfall safely into the town in support of all businesses once Level 5 Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted.
Throughout the festive season, there’s an array of events and activities to keep all the family entertained. They include:
- Bray’s Virtual Christmas Lights Switch-On 2020 on Saturday, 21st November 2020 from 5:00 pm
- Christmas Projections on the Town Hall and Civic offices
- Santa’s Post Box – children wanting to send letters to Father Christmas can do so at the Bray Town Hall
- Christmas Make & Do Virtual Workshops and will include learning how to make a gingerbread man, festive cocktails and mocktails made easy and learning how to kick-start your Christmas dinner with an easy-but-impressive starter
- Christmas stories for kids online with thanks to the Bray Library service
- Colour #ChristmasInBray competition
- Christmas giveaways including ‘Find the Bray.ie Elf’ and a virtual festive quiz
- Top 10 Christmas Gifts list available from local retailers
- Top 80 #ChristmasInBray Spotify playlist
Anne Ferris, Cathaoirleach of Bray Municipal District said, “Bray’s Shop Local First initiative was originally launched back in March to encourage consumers to spend locally and help businesses bounce back. To support this campaign, free parking will be available throughout weekends in December at all Wicklow County Council Bray car parks. This year, the scheme has been extended to include on-street parking. The districts local businesses can get involved in the “Shop Local First” initiative by submitting a free listing here: https://www.bray.ie/shoplocalfirst/.”
Collaboratively, all stakeholders will continue to try and reach out to even more people in the lead up to Christmas through our digital platforms to raise the much-needed awareness that our town is open for business safely and responsibly.
“We look forward to everyone tuning in to watch Bray’s Virtual Christmas Lights Switch-On on Saturday, 21st November 2020 from 5:00 pm and help us kick start the festive season,” concluded Ruth.
For any further information, please see https://www.bray.ie/christmasinbray/.