Bray & District Chamber of Commerce and Wicklow County Council launch the Bray St. Patrick’s Festival for 2018
Bray is packed full of incredible experiences that you can’t get anywhere else so why not bring the whole family to the St. Patrick’s Festival which returns March 10th until March 19th 2018.
Enjoy a fun fair, live music, an open-air céilí, puppet shows, street theatre, walks, trails and of course the main event the Festival Parade. It’s 6 days of great family fun. It’s also the perfect time to see some amazing performances at Mermaid Arts Centre or simply catch some live music at one of the many venues throughout the town.
President of the Bray & District Chamber of Commerce, Pat Ó Súilleabháin said ‘Bray has now become a destination to help celebrate the spirit of St. Patrick. In the past 3 years, there have been over 100k visitors to the town alone. One of our aims is to drive tourism with vibrant festivals and events in order to increase visitor numbers to help boost the town’s local economy. The St. Patrick’s Festival Bray really goes a long way in helping achieve our goals. This year’s festival has something for everyone and I really hope everyone enjoys the 6 days of great family fun this year’.
The Bray Parade which is one of the largest on the east coast will start at the earlier time of 2 pm and we are expecting thousands to line the town’s streets like previous years. Visitors will be treated to the sights and sounds of the marching bands, majorettes, local groups, clubs and more. Watch creative acts, floats, the pageantry, colour, music, dance and entertainment from the many participants on St. Patrick’s Day, March 17th.
Parade Grand Marshal
This year’s Grand Marshal is Bray person of the year, Dr Fidelma Savage. Fidelma is a local doctor here in Bray for over 25 years. She was County Commissioner for the last 3 years for Cill Mhantain Scout County. She has worked tirelessly with the youth of Bray for over 25 years, as a scout leader with 5th Wicklow Sea Scouts.
As well as having her own practice, she gives her time 3 nights a week, working in the addiction clinics here in Bray and in Sallynoggin. Something she has done for the last 25 years. She is an advocate for homelessness and has done so much for the less fortunate here in our community. Fidelma is a very deserving and popular winner of the Bray Person of the Year award 2017.
Traffic restrictions during the Bray Parade
Road closures will be in place on March 17th from 1 pm until after 4 pm to facilitate the Bray Parade. Roads affected include Main Street, Quinsboro Road, Seapoint Road and Strand Road and surrounding roads.
This year there are over 30 events. Here are the main highlights:
- Birds Euroshow returns to Bray over the weekend of March 10th & 11th and then again daily from March 16th until Bank Holliday Monday, March 19th at 12.00 noon until 8 pm.
- Catch The Liberties (Dubliners Tribute Act) play thuas staighre sa Harbour Bar on Friday, March 16th. Register for tickets below or click here.
- The festival’s main event the Bray Parade will kick off at the new time of 2 pm this year from Town Hall to the viewing stand at the northern part of the Seafront. Click here to download the parade route.
- Bray Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann will host a special performance of traditional Irish music in ‘The Well’ Cornerstone Church, [opposite Royal Hotel] on St Patrick’s Day, from 6.30pm to 8 pm. Click here for more information.
- Learn how to Irish dance on Sunday, March 18th from 11 am then afterwards enjoy an open-air Céilí with The Berry Irish Dance Academy.
- Enjoy Julie Rose as she wows audiences young and old with her collection of Puppet Shows from Punch and Judy to Oisín in Tír na nÓg also on Sunday, March 18th
- The Bray Head Walk is back this year with Bray Adventures and new for this year is a historical walk. Brian White of the Bray Cualann Historical Society will conduct a walking tour of Bray Main Street. The tour will trace Bray’s links with Shamrock, serpents, patriotic visitors and events that occurred in Bray during St Patrick’s week. There are limited spaces for both walks so make sure you book early using the forms below.
- The Bray Vintage Car Club will be showcasing some of their members beautiful classic and vintage cars on Sunday, March 18th from 2 pm to 4 pm.
- On Monday, March 19th watch Monsieur Gusto perform some spectacular outdoor circus performances including handstands, magic, juggling & escapology routines.
- Or why not soak up the atmosphere over the St. Patrick’s long weekend and listen to the jigs and reels in the many venues throughout the town.
View the Festival Brochure for full event listings, dates and times
Or download the brochure here.
Please note: All events and times are subject to change without notice and may be dependant on weather.
The Festival Lineup (Click on image to enlarge)
Mick Glynn, St. Patrick’s Festival Chairman said ‘A big thanks to our sponsors who fund all the events, our committee, volunteers, participants and the emergency services. A large festival like this wouldn’t be possible without the great support, enthusiasm and expertise from these people’.
‘There are over 30 events taking place throughout the town during the festival so why not join us over the long weekend and help celebrate our national day’, added Mick.
The Liberties (Dubliners Tribute Act) play thuas staighre sa Harbour Bar on Friday, March 16th. Support act opens the gig from 8:30 pm. Register for tickets here:
Historical Trail Registration – Meeting point is at the Bray Town Hall – Sunday, March 18th at 3 pm
Brian White of the Bray Cualann Historical Society will conduct a walking tour of Bray Main Street. The tour will trace Bray’s links with Shamrock, serpents, patriotic visitors and events that occurred in Bray during St Patrick’s week since it was made a public holiday in 1903. *Persons under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
The guided walk is with thanks to Bray Cualann Historical Society.
Bray Head Walk Registration – Meeting point is at the Scenic Car Park – Monday, March 19th at 12 noon
Dust off those hiking boots and get hiking this St. Patrick’s Weekend. Take in some of the most stunning views of Bray and surrounding areas with a guided walk with Bray Adventures up and around the amazing Bray Head. The tour will include a stop off so bring a packed lunch with you. *Persons under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
The guided tour is with thanks to Bray Adventures.
To celebrate the return of the festival we have a Fun Fair Family Golden Ticket (unlimited fun fair access throughout the entire festival) to giveaway. Family can consist of two adults with up to three children.
Thanks to the hundreds who entered the competition.
The competition is now closed congratulations to Sinead Murphy – The winner of the Fun Fair Golden Ticket. Well done and enjoy the prize!
Click here if you can’t access the form above.
Festival event locations, places to stay, dine and socialise in (Click on image to enlarge)
Festival Event Calendar
Getting to Bray
Getting to Bray couldn’t be simpler as the town has a substantial public transport network, both north from Dublin and south from County Wicklow and County Wexford.
Please plan your journey here.
The Committee would appreciate if the public, both spectators and participants alike would leave the Silly String at home this year as it is banned in Bray during the dates 15th to 19th March. These are harmful and interfere with public events, such as the parade. Thank you for your cooperation in advance! Read more here about the notice.
Participating groups in the Bray Parade 2018:
- 12th Wicklow Scouts Bray
- 5th Wicklow Bray Sea Scouts
- Ardmore Rovers Football Club
- Artastic Street Theatre
- Bergin Academy of Irish Dance
- Berry Irish Dance Academy
- Bray Adventures
- Bray Cardiac First Responders
- Bray Emmets
- Bray Fire Station
- Bray Hockey Club
- Bray Lions Club
- Bray Musical Society
- Bray Vintage Car Club
- Classic American Motors
- Crumlin Marching Band
- East Coast Cyclones
- Fergal Ogs GAA
- Gemstars Majorettes
- Jai Sua Martial Arts
- Kaliwat Iliganon Association-ROI
- Kilmacanogue GAA
- Kung Fu 4 Kids
- Lakers Special Needs club
- Lawless Academy Of Irish Dancing
- Me and The Moon
- Non-Resident Nepali Association Ireland
- Order of Malta Ambulance Corps Bray Unit
- P J Masks
- School for Nurses Mlinarska, Zagreb
- Scoil Rince Fáinne
- Shankill GAA Club
- Shauna McGauran School of Irish Dance
- Signal Arts Centre
- Southside Chinese Residents Association
- Tallaght Festival Band
- The Boomerang Band (UK)
- Urban X Hip Hop
- Wicklow Civil Defence
- Indonesian Community
- Masters Temple
- Reserve Infantry Battalion
Bray’s St. Patrick’s Festival is proudly brought to you by Bray & District Chamber of Commerce and Wicklow County Council.