Starts in 8 Days, 46 Minutes
August 25, 2018 to August 27, 2018 1:00 pm - 10:50 pm
Harbour Bar, Bray, County Wicklow
3RD BRAZIL MEETS BRAY – From 25th – 27th August, Bray will be rocking to the rhythm and vibe of a Rio carnival.
- Brazilians are now the largest immigrant group in Bray – and to celebrate their culture, and support their integration, The Brazilian Cultural Centre is running a two-day festival at the Mermaid Arts Centre and the Harbour Bar on the Bray seafront, starting, in both venues on Saturday at 1 pm.
- This third festival Brazil Meets Bray aims to make connections between the two countries. Whilst punters will be soaking up Brazilian Culture, and sampling authentic Brazilian dishes from the many food stalls, they’ll be experiencing the best of Irish Culture too.
- Irish dancing will complement a Brazilian demonstration of ‘Forro,’ a genre originating from North-eastern Brazil. A language exchange will feature Portuguese English and Irish; and the band Celtic Grace will prove a melodic contrast to Morro 16, who will be closing the lunchtime Music Section at the Harbour Bar by performing Samba Batucada.
- Over at The Mermaid, the opening features Paulo Pimentel In Conversation about the exhibition, Canavieiros, a sideshow of powerful B&W images of people who worked in the 1980s at the sugarcane plantation in Brazil. The Brazilian news cameraman and photographer has covered many conflicts and wars, including the fall of the Berlin wall.
- There’s a photography projection at the harbour too, where the images of Brazilian and Irish photographers can be viewed.
- A highlight is a prizegiving and showing of short films, made by Brazilians living in Ireland, titled I LOVE BRAY. Judged by filmmakers Flavia Coy and Gabriel Piovezan, these focus on multicultural aspects of the connections between Brazilians and the town.
- The festival ends on Monday, with a showing of the film, Trash, a look at two boys living amongst the daily detritus in Rio’s slums.
- Last year more than 500 people attended the event, including many international visitors.
- Supported by Creative Wicklow Grant Scheme 2018
Harbour Bar, Saturday 25th, 1pm-5pm (FREE EVENT)
Address: 1 Strand Rd, Ravenswell, Bray, Co. Wicklow
Mermaid Arts Centre: Sat 25th 1:15- 2:15pm
Address: Main St, Bray, Co. Wicklow
For More Information contact firstname.lastname@example.org